1.24.2007

Viva la revolucion!


It is dangerous to spend too much time in an environment learning substanciated notions of how the world is not alright, about how we are further under-developing, how we are living in luxury while others live in squalor.

It's dangerous to put me beside a stereo-typical management student, or a pro-child labour commerce kid (yes, the argument has been made), or an all knowing conservative International Development Studies student (which is the worst, as they know what has been done and what is being done, but still refuse to act). I get so depressed and ornery and absolutely revolutionary at the thought of the suffering, the blinding poverty, the unfair rules, the unbearable economic and environmental conditions and the terrible inequality that billions of the world are being forced to deal with. There is no way to console me after reading about the Rwandan genocide, the GATT and further WTO policies, the SAPs imposed and the bureaucracy of these northern aid organizations who are so drowning in jargon that they keep shifting responsibilities and filling out forms that they lose sight of what they are in those countries for.

Anyways, point of my story was actually was going to be happier, but I don't feel like its significant anymore that Megan and I are continuing in our "viva la revolucion"-ary stance. I'm going to go to bed tonight and will wake up happier in the morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concure.

Becky

PS This is exactly why we need to start our own NGO.

Blake said...

yes, your starting to sounds more and more like post high school blake, perfect....

natalie said...

Now I am sad too...I was all excited because I just got back a beautiful picture of my baby (no longer a baby) but that seems a little trivial compared to these things. But luckly as a mom i am able to resort back to thinking again about my beautiful kid....happy again

Anonymous said...

Bryna...don't dispare!! There are good things happening too! The world wide eradication of polio is ALMOST done!! Isn't that amazing wiping out a disease in the entire world and it only took about 20 years! Imagine if we tackled poverty, literacy, starvation. If we all work together as global citizens we CAN achieve! Just a little bit from everyone...and it is possible. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I think the world would be a whole lot better if people didn't try to impose their own ideology on people in an effort to completely convert them towards their own perspective. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions and has the right to excercise them, but at the same time must listen to others. Many times they'll find they argue for the same side and are just wasting time.

steven from the dojo said...

I agree. But we must not forget the others who had to face genocide, like the native people of Canada and the U.S. . Many people don't know this but I am A radical leftist native who is the founder of the small political group called the ACP. (by the way we need members) We must also remember the Holocaust, even thought they were not in a third world country they to were slaughtered.(so thats what I think about that even though it had nothing to do with anything)