10.12.2007

music

I can get lost aurally. And I do often.

I can read things that I've heard someone speak before and hear the inflections of their voice, where they paused, the decibel change. I can listen to the same song by a different fiddle player or singer and hear the other's bow strokes or voice as clear as ever.

Somethings that I will never forget:

Stanza 5: Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night: Dylan Thomas
as read by Dylan Thomas
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The Owl and the Pussy Cat: Edward Lear
As read by my Mom
"The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!'

The Night Before Christmas: Clement Clarke Moore
"'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the sounds of Whitman espousing doctrine of infertility against involuntary childlessness to the crowds of uninterested 4th years? Does that bring you aurally back??

- Sarah...

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how long it's been since I viewed your blog. I was so excited to see myself in one of them! (wow that sounds a bit egotistic, but I was excited!)

Sounds like you had a fantastical summer and piercing experience. I can't wait to see your piercing. I feel like I have not seen you in 100 million thousand years.

Becky